1/18/2007

Hey Kids! Comics!! 01-18-07

It was a slow week at ye olde comik shoppe. None of my favorites were out but I did find some cool new books:

Detective Chimp #1

Detective Chimp #1Because you demanded it, Bill Willinghmam and Sean McManus bring us the most famous chimp detective in the history of chimp detectives. Detective Chimp has always been, obviously, a less than serious character. Accordingly, the creative team plays things mostly for laughs and Willingham's skillful enough as a writer to recognize the inherent goofiness and still tell a good story. Apparently, this is tied into 52, DC's endless crossover that's touching every single book in their line. Now, I haven't read it, since I hate multi-book crossovers, so I have no idea how Detective Chimp fits into the big scheme of things except that he's now somehow affiliated with Dr. Fate, who was always one of my favorite characters in the DC universe (A bunch of years ago, Kieth Giffen and Larry Mahlstat did a great backup run with Dr. Fate in The Flash, which was way better than the title character's story). It seems the whole Dr. Fate concept has been turned on it's head in 52 because that's basically what happens in annoying, pointless, multi-book crossovers. Anyway, to make a long story short, Detective Chimp becomes Dr. Fate, can't handle it, and sends the helmet away. The end. I actually recommend this book, as Willingham has made the title character eminently likable and the story is actually engaging, well drawn and entertaining. Detective Chimp doesn't just think he's the smartest chimp in the room, he knows it. And he'll let anyone around him know it. Then he'll prove it. Somehow, he does this without coming off as an arrogant asshole. That's good writing, kids! This book rates a solid 7.5 out of 10. It would rate at least a point higher if Detective Chimp threw his feces at a bad guy. Maybe next issue. Which I'll definitely be picking up.

Red Menace #3

Red Menace #3The evils of McCarthyism is the central theme of this throwback of a book. I'm enjoying it, mostly due to Jerry Ordway's classy art. The story is ok. At least it's keeping my interest. I'm sure this will be available in a collected trade soon enough so you can wait until then to get it.

War Of The Undead #1 (of 3)

War Of The Undead #1 (of 3)I wasn't going to buy this book, even though I usually give first issues a try, because there seems to be an endless amount of Zombie books out there and most of them aren't very good. But then after taking a closer look at the cover, I realized this book has undead Nazi zombies in it. So I figured it was at least worth a look. Right? I'm glad I did. Rarely does a comic revel in it's own idiocy the way this one does. Writer Bryan Johnson and artist Walter Flanagan have created the best "undead-Nazi-devil worshiping-scientists-steal-Hitlers-nutsack (yes... his NUTSACK) and try to sustain the third Reich by inventing an unstoppable zombie army" comic I've read this month! As if that wasn't enough, there's Dracula (and his brides), Frankenstein's monster, the Wolfman and the Mummy thrown in for good measure. As you might have guessed, no one involved with this book appears to be taking anything all that seriously, but they do seem to be having fun. As an added bonus, they've also included loads of graphic zombie violence, so all you gorehounds should be pleased. The only criticism I really have is that there are no good guys yet to balance out the scumbag Nazi's. I'm sure next issue will reveal all. I'll be there!

Zombies Vs. Robots #2

Zombies Vs. Robots #2I picked up the first issue of this book and found it a little thin in the story department. Fortunately, it has a cool premise which the title sums up nicely, so I was hoping it would pick up a little with issue 2. Sadly, the story is still light at best, and illogical at worst, but at least things end with a nuclear blast. Who doesn't love a nuclear conclusion? Next issue sounds even more promising: Amazons Vs. Zombies Vs. Robots, so I'll think about it. At this point the main thing that keeps me coming back is the beautifully, illustrative art by Ashley Wood. He is one talented dude and a perfect example of how great art can make an OK story seem better than it is.

Fables Volume #4 (of 8, so far): March Of The Wooden Soldiers

Fables Volume #4 (of 8, so far): March Of The Wooden SoldiersRebounding from what I felt was a slight let down in volume 3 of his excellent Fables series, Bill Willingham delivers the best Fables story arch yet. The main plot of March of the Wooden Soldiers revolves around an attempt by the Adversary — the Sauron-like overlord who conquered the Fable's homelands — to invade our world and destroy Fabletown with thousands of murderous, grown-up Pinocchio's. It seems he's forcing Geppetto to create them, or so we're led to assume. I suspect things are not as they seem. The one major subplot involves grown up Red Riding Hood, returned from the dead and seeking asylum in Fabletown. It seems she has quite a history with Little Boy Blue and Bigby (Almost everyone seems to have a history with Bigby). I always thought Blue was gay. After reading this book, it's obvious I was dead wrong. Willingham weaves all these subplots together into one amazingly coherent story arc and sets up volume 5, The Mean Season, nicely. Mark Buckingham, whose style was always beautifully suited to this type of book, does an excellent job with the art. Everyone involved seems to give a damn. I appreciate that. Pick it up! For more comic reviews, check out Jared's Blog. He thinks he knows what he's talking about. See you next week. Be there or be square!

2 comments:

David said...

There are many chimps throughout history, that would deserve #1 chimp status before this pale simian.

Read all about them with:
http://www.primatesworld.com/SpaceMonkeys.html

Is that a banana in your pocket or are you just glad to see me.

Jared said...

Nazi Zombies and Detective Chimps? I'll give you credit. You're really stretching to try and find some good comics this week.