2/12/2007

New York, New York! It's a helluva town!The NY Giants released three players today: LB Lavar Arrington, LB Carlos Emmons and OT Luke Petitgout. I guess new GM Jerry Reese is instituting a no injured wusses policy.

Seriously though, Emmons was no surprise. He never managed to get fully healthy in any of the three seasons he spent here and they were going to cut him anyway.

Even though he was only going to cost $900,000 against the cap next year, I suppose the team had no faith in Arrington getting healthy again any time soon. Still, I was exited when they signed him last off-season and I wonder if a fully healthy Arrington would have meant an additional win or two last year. He was just starting to play well when he blew out his Achilles tendon and he was an impact player back when he was with the Redskins.

Petitgout finally was living up to his 1st round draft status this year when he broke his leg. He's had back problems in the past and I guess they figured they could plug someone equally good in for less money — in this case David Diehl.

I'm weary of that offensive-lineman-are-interchangable philosophy as we saw musical lines for several years around here under retired GM Ernie Accorsi and the result was an utter lack of continuity and crushing mediocrity. Offensive lines need time to gel before they start to play well as a unit and there's no Tiki Barber next year to make them look better than they are. Petitgout was always average to slightly above average so I'm hoping they can improve that spot moving forward. Hopefully Diehl, who filled in for him last year after his injury, is up to the challenge. At least I hope he is. This move makes signing C Sean O'Hara even more important since changing two players on the line could really mess up the offense and further retard Eli Manning's progress. Eli was really inconsistent last year and I can't see changing OT's and losing Tiki as positives in any way.

Still, none of these moves are crushing to next seasons prospects for success, and I'd like to see what they do in free agency and the draft before declaring 2007 a wash. I'm sure there's going to be many more moves to come...

5 comments:

Jared said...

I'm ready to declare 2007 a wash. Here comes offensive lineman roulette AGAIN. Here comes Pierce (who's good) and some mediocre LBs AGAIN. They got Arrington on the cheap so who the hell are they gonna get that's better for the money? All their dough is tied up in injured DE's. Here comes CBs who can't cover AGAIN. Here comes Coughlin's inconsistent offensive plans AGAIN. Here comes maybe sneaking into the playoffs only to lose AGAIN.

GD said...

Since your blog is, I assume, primarily read by men I tend to think your poll question borders on the creepy. You never ask another heterosexual guy if he thinks you are sexy. A more appropriate poll question might be "Who would you be less likly to claw your own eyes outs if you were t osee naked?"

Jared said...

Asking John not to be creepy is like asking Bill Parcells not to retire every four years.

John Bligh said...

Your all JEALOUS!!! I'll have you know I'm beating Brad Pitt in the poll!!!

Unknown said...

900 Gs for Arrington next year? I'm sorry, you take the chance on that one. Carlos wasn't a surprise, but I was a bit taken aback by Luke's demise. Where the hell are they going? Do they really expect to sign a 1st, or even 2nd, tiered RB with the saved cash? Maybe a snazzy new CB? Ha! Is seven wins even possible next year??